Once the festivities of Christmas are over and the celebrations of welcoming the New Year have faded, January can feel long and never-ending. Thoughts start to turn to Spring and the yearning of lighter nights and sunnier days becomes stronger. Below are some of the local events that are taking place in February and early March across Cornwall.
- On 9th and 16th February, Pencarrow House & Gardens opens for visitors to find the first signs of Spring and see their beautiful snowdrops. All proceeds go towards a good cause for this charity event.
- You can find see ore information here: https://www.visitcornwall.com/whats-on/seasonal/north-coast/wadebridge/snowdrop-sundays and here: https://www.pencarrow.co.uk/news-and-events/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=visitcornwall.com&utm_campaign=listing
St Ives Feast and hurling the Silver Ball
- Taking place on 10th February 2020, is this ancient tradition that offers a rare chance to watch the game of Hurling the Silver Ball, a centuries old form of rugby. The feast day starts off with the mayor’s civic procession near Porthmeor Beach, followed by the start of the boisterous hurling of the silver ball when participants attempt to win the ball off each other around the town.
- You can find out more about this Cornish tradition here: https://www.stives-cornwall.co.uk/events/st-ives-feast-day-2020/ and here: https://www.visitcornwall.com/whats-on/st-ives-feast-hurling-silver-ball
Cornish Pasty Week
- Cornish Pasty Week is a week-long celebration starting on Sunday 23rd February and ending on Saturday 29th February at the 9th annual World Pasty Championships at the Eden Project (see below).
- Find out more about this week of activity: http://www.cornishpastyassociation.co.uk/about-the-pasty/cornish-pasty-week/
World Pasty Championships at Eden
- Bakers from across the globe are preparing for the the hotly-contested World Pasty Championships at the Eden Project on Saturday 29th February. This grand finale to a week-long celebration that is Cornish Pasty Week sees amateur bakers and professionals alike compete across a variety of classes.
- Find out more here: https://www.edenproject.com/visit/whats-on/world-pasty-championships
Cornwall Air Ambulance: Rugby Ramble
- Cornwall Air Ambulance have partnered with the Cornish Pirates and St Austell Brewery to bring you this new and exciting event! Get a group of friends or family together on Sunday 1st March for a day of walking and cracking rugby in Penzance.
- Find out more here: https://cornwallairambulancetrust.org/rugby-ramble/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=visitcornwall.com&utm_campaign=listing
St Piran’s Day Celebrations in Cornwall
- 5th March is St Pirans Day, the national day of Cornwall. The day is named after one of the patron saints of Cornwall, Saint Piran, who is also the patron saint of tin miners.
- There will be celebrations throughout Cornwall on and around 5th March – see here for a full list of events taking place.